The Bridgewater Hall (BWH) is one of the most prestigious and important performing arts venues in the United Kingdom with a significant international reputation. The Venue hosts classical music concerts, rock and pop and a wide range of contemporary performances, along with educational institution graduations/presentations, conferences and seminars. In addition the Venue programmes a number of its own performances and events annually.
The Security Officer will report to the Security Manager; assisting in the provision operations of the Security Department and team.They will ensure the Venue is professionally presented and operated at all times, and that through the department the highest level of security service is delivered to the public and promoting organisations attending and operating within the facility.The Security Officer will ensure that all events are operated securely. Cooperation is essential in working with venue departments and their operations as well as for the daily operations of the facility.The role also assists in the employment of security staff including, casual and contracted.
Main areas of responsibility:
- Assist the operations of the Security Department within the Venue including:
- Providing a visual security presence.
- Patrolling of the facility internally/externally on a regularly managed basis.
- Conducting searches in a professional manner.
- Managing crowds and queues efficiently.
- Providing Traffic Management for School events.
- Operating and monitoring of the security equipment (CCTV, DVR’s alarm systems etc.) and associated control room spaces.
- Providing a high level of customer service.
- Provide security during performances and daily operations in cooperation with the House Management Team and liaise with all other departments as necessary.
- Assist in the evacuation of the building in the event of an emergency situation.
- Provide any reports that may be required by the Duty Manager for inclusion in the post event log.
- Ensure the Venue’s Health and Safety policies are adhered to.
- Ensure the operations of the department work within the requirements of GDPR legislation.
- Cooperate with the Hallé Orchestra, BBC Philharmonic and other subscription based organisations to ensure uninterrupted yet secure working environments.
- Under the direction of the Security Manager ensure the department runs within the operational budget provided and in reference to the Venue’s Financial Officer and Chief Executive or delegate.
- Assist with the provision of data (i.e. post event analysis and input data) to all departments as requested.
- Work evening and weekend hours as necessary and/or required (mandatory).
- Attending and participating in any training as and when requested.
- Other duties as may be required by the management.
- As directed roster the security teams and contracting organisations.
- Assist as necessary in the recruitment of casual security staff.
- Assist the Security Manager in training members of the security team pursuant to appropriate industry standards for dealing with patrons, community groups and staff.
- Participate within the Security Department so as to respond to the needs of the operational departments within the Venue.
- Liaise with promoters giving regular feedback and advice as may be required.
- The successful candidate MUST have an SIA Licence in Door Supervision. (It would be desirable, although not essential, for the candidate to have an SIA Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) Licence).
- Similar experience in Door Supervision, and/or Event Stewarding or Venue Security is preferred.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills - both written and verbal.
- Must have excellent customer care skills.
- The ability to remain calm under pressure and the confidence/ability to deal with difficult situations (including those involving conflict) is essential.
- The ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team.
- Awareness of Counter Terrorism (ACT or Project Griffin).
- Presentable appearance.
- Reliable and flexible.
To comply with changes in legislation and company policies, training will be provided as required from time to time for this position in order to maintain appropriate levels of service within the facility.